Wrexham’s Sensational Season Ends In Triumph With Record 111 Points

Harry Corish - Sportin Journalist

It was a positive start from Phil Parkinson’s side. However, Torquay United dug in deep to make Wrexham work hard for a draw on the final day of the season.

The Reds had an opportunity to go ahead within the first five minutes at Plainmoor stadium, but Paul Mullin’s effort was stopped by Mark Halstead.

The first half was tight, with both teams fighting for every ball, but Wrexham managed to take a 0-0 scoreline into the break. The hosts then took the lead early in the second half through Nouble, but a late Elliot Lee equalizer ensured a draw for the National League Champions.

Swansea City extended their unbeaten run in the Championship to eight games after drawing 1-1 against Hull City at the MKM Stadium.

After conceding an early own goal, the Swans looked to build back into the game, creating several half-chances at goal. However, it was their patient build-up play that helped Russell Martin’s side level the scoreline.

Jamie Paterson found a pocket of space and was able to find Luke Cundle, who equalized with a fine strike.

The match proved to be a special occasion for Swansea’s captain, Matthew Grimes, who made his 250th appearance, but neither side was able to break the deadlock before the final whistle.

Cardiff City had a mixed week, securing their place in the Championship with an excellent 2-1 win against Rotherham midweek but fell to a 2-1 defeat against Huddersfield Town.

Neil Warnock’s Huddersfield picked up their first win in four games, to put the Terriers just one point away from safety from their two remaining games. But the former Cardiff City manager remained emotionless throughout the tie, despite the high stakes on show.

Joe Ralls also marked his 350th appearance for the Bluebirds in front of home supporters, but his day was cut short after just 55 minutes due to an injury.

IBF Super-Featherweight World Champion and Cardiff City supporter Joe Cordina also made an appearance, after his stunning split decision win over Shavkatdzhon Rakhimov in the Welsh capital just a week ago.

The visitors opened the scoring with a well-taken finish from Joseph Hungbo, who beat Cedric Kirpre and struck his curling effort past Jack Alnwick with ease.

Huddersfield doubled their lead when Jack Simpson unfortunately touched in a dangerous Rudoni free kick into his own net.

The Bluebirds managed to pull one goal back through Isaak Davies. Fellow Welshman, Reuben Colwill urged his side forward and tested Lee Nicholls with a stunning curled shot, but the Huddersfield stopper was up to the task and palmed the effort wide.

Newport County sealed a league double over Gillingham with a stylish 2-1 win away from home, thanks to a late Omar Bogle strike. Coughlan’s side now sit 14th, just three points away from the top half of the table following a run of three wins from their last five games.

Cameron Norman opened the scoring for County with a delightful header from a dangerous James Waite corner.

However, Gillingham found a leveller from the spot after Manchester United loanee Charlie McNeil fouled Tom Nichols in the penalty area before scoring the penalty himself.

It was an impressive second half from County, who forced the hosts’ keeper, Morris, into several impressive stops before Bogle lashed in a stunning strike into the roof of the net to seal all three points for Newport.