Wrexham’s 15 Year Wait Ended With Hollywood finish As Mullin Double Secures Promotion

Harry Corish - Sportin Journalist

Two Paul Mullin goals helped Wrexham comeback from a goal down to secure a 3-1 win over Borham Wood to secure promotion to League Two following near perfect season from the Reds.

Co-owners Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney watched on as their side came from a goal behind to seal the victory after falling behind after just 43 seconds, threatening to derail the party at the racecourse.

Wrexham soon replied through a glorious header from Elliot Lee, before Mullin turned the game on its head soon after the break.

It was fitting then that it was the 28-year-old who had swapped League One football for National League football when he arrived in North Wales in 2021, sealed promotion for the reds with a stunning solo effort in the 71st minute.

In the Championship, Swansea continued their stunning run with an outstanding 3-0 win against Norwich at Carrow Road on Saturday.

It was Swansea’s sixth win in seven games, as Russell Martin’s side picked up their fifth clean sheet in that time to put his side three points off the playoff positions.

Joel Latibeaudiere and Liam Cullen scored early goals, allowing the Swans to take a commanding 2-0 lead. And Norwich’s situation worsened when Sam McCallum was given a red card for taking down Cullen, who was on the brink of scoring a third goal for the Welsh team.


Swansea continued to press on their advantage and were completely dominant before Frenchman Olivier Ntcham finished off a slick attack soon after the break.


Cardiff fell to 20th but moved three points clear of the relegation zone with a 1-1 draw against Stoke City, with Reading losing against Coventry City.

Josh Laurent gave the visitors the lead in the 16th minute, as he headed in Will Smallbone’s threatening cross.

While there was a lack of chances throughout the half, Sory Kaba was able to continue his excellent scoring form, picking up his eighth goal in 14 games for Bluebirds, as he capitalized on a stoke mix up at the back.

Newport County got back to winning ways with an impressive 3-1 against Doncaster Rovers. It was a fourth win in seven for Graham Coughlan’s side, who now find themselves in 14th place

County had conceded first in unfortunate fashion, as Kyle Hurst’s strike from 25 yards took a wicked deflection, to wrongfoot Joseph Day.

County rallied midway into the second half. Priestly Farquharson headed in Newport’s equalizer soon after the hour mark before late goals from Aaron Wildig and Cameron Norman saw their side leapfrog their opponents on the day.

It was an incredible final day in the Cymru Premier League, as Aberystwyth secured their spot in the league with a last-minute winner against Caernarfon Town in a rollercoaster game in a packed Park Avenue.

Aberystwyth entered the match fully aware that they needed a better result than Flint Town on the last day to secure their place in the league for the upcoming season.


Despite being behind at halftime, two goals in the dying moments from Mark Cadwallader and Niall Flint extended their 30-year stay in the Cymru Premier. However, the result meant that Flint Town was relegated after losing their game against Pontypridd United 3-2.


Airbus remained winless, as they finished the season with a disappointing 4-1 loss against Haverfordwest. While Penybont came from behind to beat Newtown 2-1 top secure qualifation to the Europa Conference League.


The New Saints had already secured the title but fin finished the season in style with a 4-1 over second placed Connah’s Quay Nomads and Cardiff Met beat Bala Town 2-1.

Cardiff City clinched their first-ever double title by defeating Briton Ferry, retaining the FAW Women’s Cup.

The Bluebirds eased to a 4-0 victory against the Adran South side, Briton Ferry. Eliza Collie, Catherine Walsh, and Ffion Price scored first half goals to put Cardiff in a commanding position.

Briton Ferry fought hard in the second half, but Rhianne Oakley’s goal towards the end of the game helped to secure Cardiff City’s historic first-ever double title.